Press "Enter" to skip to content

Bangkok’s 2008 Airport Seizure Saga: Charges Dismissed But Echoes Linger

Picture this: amidst the backdrop of bustling Bangkok, a throng of vibrant yellow-shirted figures converge on Suvarnabhumi Airport. It’s December 2008, and the atmosphere is electric with the fervor of democracy — these are the members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy staging a monumental protest that would reverberate through the annals of Thai history.

Fast-forward to a courtroom buzzing with anticipation on a fateful Wednesday. A verdict that could have radically altered the course of 32 activists’ lives was handed down. Yet, with a collective breath held, they heard the word “dismissed.” Charges of insurrection dropped like a hot potato by the Criminal Court, though their wallets would feel a tad lighter with a 20,000 baht fine nipping at the heels of 13 lead protestors. Closure? Perhaps, but the echoes of chaos that played out over ten days, shutting down Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports, still lingers in the air.

Now, indulge me as we detour down memory lane. The airports’ seizure was far from trivial– we’re talking about a whopping 3 billion baht daily punch to Thailand’s economic gut. Shipment values and golden opportunities evaporated quicker than a Bangkok street vendor’s stock during lunch hour!

“A precedent,” declared Panthep Puapongpan, one of the freshly acquitted, “for those who harbored love for their motherland and a thirst for justice.” They had made their stand, carved their chapter in the steely book of protest — and now it was time to turn the page as prosecutors eyed an appeal.

The PAD, a fierce political brigade birthed in 2005, set their sights on their former prime minister and were relentless in their campaign, even as he dived out of the spotlight and country. By 2008, they were squarely aiming to topple what they deemed Thaksin’s political marionettes from power, and what better stage than the capital’s air transit hubs?

While stranded travelers might’ve disagreed at the time, the Constitutional Court on the other side of town was penning a drama of its own. As yellow shirts swarmed terminals, leaders of the then-governing coalition found their political careers abruptly grounded.

The court unraveled the charges: insufficient evidence of insurrection, no official roughed up, no evidence of anyone illegally detained, or air travel snarled with nefarious intent. The protest was as peaceful as a Bangkok canal at dawn. They walked free, minus the fine for a minor overstep of trespassing and emergency decree defiance.

In the lineup for this financial wrist-slapping were such names as Maj Gen Chamlong Srimuang and Sondhi Limthongkul — formidable figures who etched their names in the protest’s lore. But, when the financial dust settled in 2017, bankruptcy was the final gavel — a 522 million baht judgment from the Supreme Court was the cost for their historical airport occupation.

Thus, the stage is cleared, the actors exit, and Suvarnabhumi Airport hums once more with the lifeblood of travelers. Yet, the tale endures – a saga of determination, democracy, and an indelible protest that once brought Bangkok’s skies to a whispering halt.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More from ThailandMore posts in Thailand »