Today marks the reopening of the Tham Luang caverns, which became famous in 2018 for the daring rescue of 12 boys and their football coach from the caves. The location has been off-limits since the first of July so that it could ride out the monsoon season. Late in the month of June 2018, a teenage football team was exploring the caves when heavy storms triggered flash floods that filled the cave with water and trapped the group within. During the wet season, the caves in the Khun Nam Nang Non-forest park were closed to the public for a period of three and a half months to prevent any additional accidents. A merit-making ceremony was held yesterday to mark the reopening of the caves to tourists. The ceremony was presided over by the chief of the Mae Sai district in Chiang Rai, which is where the caves are located.

The trauma that the students went through when they were trapped in the cave has since been portrayed in other movies as well as a current series that was released on Netflix. The cave is now famous all over the world. The caves where the 12 lads and their coach had been confined attracted a large number of people who wanted to see them for themselves. However, due to multiple outbreaks of Covid-19 during the pandemic, the location had to be shut down on multiple occasions.

Despite these closures, however, park managers made advantage of the time to enhance the park’s offerings for visitors in the future. The construction of a more accessible path was done with the guests with disabilities and the elderly in mind. A new look was given to the landscaping throughout the entire area. In addition, a path was built to connect the caves to Sa Morakot, a natural pond located in the area.

In addition, a number of additional attractions will be available to view for cave visitors. The guests will be assisted in settling in via a complimentary tram service. In addition, a memorial has been constructed to honor both the rescue operation and the officer who was killed while carrying it out. Saman “Ja Sam” Kunan was a Petty Officer First Class who was 37 years old when he passed away while attempting to release the children. He is currently commemorated by a sculpture that is located outside the door.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments